[DISCUSSION] The importance and methods of preventing inflation

• In economics, inflation is a sustained increase in the general price level of goods and services in an economy over a period of time.

Occurrence: inflation happens when players create more gold (either through monster drops or by selling items to NPCs) than they can remove from the game (usually through NPC interaction).

The problem: if the server has even the slightest inflation, general prices of items sold by players will continue to rise indefinitely as a consequence of players hoarding more and more gold. Not only Metin2 but most online games suffer from inflation because the game designers don't understand economics well enough.

Unfortunately the solution isn't simple and requires some discussion. I have a few ideas that I would love to get feedback on:

• The most obvious solution would be to have NPCs sell consumables that are both useful for players of all levels and impossible to obtain without spending gold. Potions are a good example. While potions can easily remove a lot of gold from the game, on most servers players get enough potions from metin stones and monster drops so that they don't need to buy them anymore. Possible solution: remove potion drops altogether from the game. Another example would be bravery capes which could be sold for high amounts of gold in-game just to deflate total gold count. I believe game designers would be more apt to find concrete implementations of this.
    • Dungeon entry fees in gold.
    • Low percentage (maybe 1%) of all player trades being taxed by the server.

How would you approach the server's gold economy to prevent inflation from happening?

• Well, first of all I would not say that inflation is bad by definition, as you more or less did. In games like Metin it is just logical that the total amount of gold ingame rises with time, players would not make any progress and stay motivated if you want everything basically to be a zero sum game. However, I agree with you, when you say that you want to prevent an inflation rate that is too high.

Possible solutions (for at least the beginning) could be:

• remove the fixed 70k you get for each skill book, together with fixed prices for +0, +1 and +2 stones

• lower the gold drop rate from the plagued dungeon

With the removal of potion drops you would only hurt beginners, players who do not have much money yet, I do not think that it is a good idea. Bravery capes sold ingame? They can be dropped from high level metins, so they will be on the market anyway. Your proposal would create an upper bound price. Technically this is possible, but that would make it more or less impossible to sell bravery capes in the item shop. As I said in another thread, maybe players should just not take bravery capes as granted. If not every players uses them in a high frequence, the prices will not go up too much. It could take money from the server, yes, but I think most people use the capes for farming, so they get even more out than they paid, especially with a fixed price.

The idea of dungeon entry fees: Depending on how high you want to set them, you would create an incentive for people not to do this run. The result would be higher prices for items that can be obtained from this run, because they will be rare (and players will also take into account the fact that you have to pay money in order to get them). Since some items from runs are already very expensive on the existing server, I have the fear that this would raise their prices too high.

The tax idea actually is a good one in my opinion. It is done like that on other servers aswell, it actually works and does not really hurt anyone (or at least it hurts everyone equally).

• I can see the fixed price on SBs as a problem for a brand new server, so I would reduce it too.

Also over time potions will be bought less and less from NPCs because you will be showered in autopots. Maybe a solution would be to make the autopots a much rarer drop and make them craftable at NPCs using normal pots.

The x% tax is done by most MMOs, even metin has it for NPC transactions. If it's feasable to implement it for all player transactions in due time, then I don't see why not.

• what about...they remove the potions ...and just add auto pots at NPC from the smallest to the highest...small ones could be at a affordable price but the higher ones at a good price ...and no drops from the metins or bosses whatever...Just an idea...

• I believe worrying about the economy of a server that is opening in a month is a bit premature. Inflation is a natural cause of games as old such as Metin2, on Server 1 since it is on 10 years, is even more natural.

Skill books, spiritual stones, etc, had a higher npc price than usual because we saw them on the floor most of the times, so why not making the player earn something? At least everytime he dropped a stone or a book that is not worth much, it wouldn't feel like a total waste.

Anyway we will probably make a better use of skill books and stones, such as being able to craft a Random Tome out of 20 Random skill books, or a random +3 stone our of 20 random +0+1+2 stones.

Auto potion won't be at any NPC but Bind and Unbind scroll will, we don't think they should be a mall item but a free option that the game should offer to protect precious items from being mistakenly sold to the NPC.

• Anyway we will probably make a better use of skill books and stones, such as being able to craft a Random Tome out of 20 Random skill books, or a random +3 stone our of 20 random +0+1+2 stones.

This will create more useful items instead of more gold, thus causing deflation, which is great. Although a certain price increase over time is inevitable considering the way Metin was designed, decisions such as this can drastically reduce it (instead of accelerating it like it happened on server 1).

Auto potion won't be at any NPC but Bind and Unbind scroll will, we don't think they should be a mall item but a free option that the game should offer to protect precious items from being mistakenly sold to the NPC.

Glad to hear it; I never understood why Binding scrolls are a mall item in most of the servers in the first place. Auto potion was just an example, but the central idea remains - having some sort of useful consumables at a NPC is one way the server can slow down gold accumulation.

• In metin2 there is no fixed pricing actually, players are just price setters and buyers are price takers. Fixed pricing is when one item being sold at npc for certain amount of gold, we don't have this in metin. For example players have different pricing for aura of sword book some sell for 3kk and others 4kk each. It happens at times, items are quite expensive this depends on supply and demand where buyers forced to be price taker. Hence if you want to tackle inflation, focus on supply of items.